Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Okay Then

In my last blog entry, I wrote the following:

"...This is an effect I've noticed before: when I do a significant amount of teaching, my creative output plummets. Why? And, does this mean that I should simply avoid teaching, or does it meant that my challenge is to learn how to teach while still living creatively?"

The next day, I got a phone call offering me a full-time teaching job for next year (one-year term appointment).

In that moment, it became clear that the answer was the second option--partly because, well, financial concerns do matter.

So in my own words, then, "my challenge (for next year) is to learn how to teach while still living creatively." I suspect what I need to do is to "teach creatively," i.e., to bring my creative spirit to all that I do--even to seemingly dry topics such as solving mathematical equations.

And while I still don't conceive of teaching math as a long-term career*, meeting this challenge can give me the experience necessary to better accomplish whatever comes next.

*I've had some thoughts recently about this as well, but the direction of those thoughts is so terrifying that I can't quite bring myself to talk about them yet, even on a semi-anonymous blog.

I've spent the last two years without a full-time job, giving me the luxury of lots of time for reflection and searching--a luxury which, frankly, I haven't always made good use of. I think I'm leaving the woods for real this time, returning to the world and bringing all the benefits of my personal efforts along with me.

4 comments:

  1. If you manage to pull off the "teaching creatively" trick, you probably won't have much urge or energy to write creatively too.

    But please, for all our sakes - write anyway. You'll be glad you did. It doesn't have to be creative - just a dull, factual account of what you did today will be helpful.

    If you make the effort, have the discipline, to do that, several good things will happen. Most importantly: in five years' time, when you're facing some other creative challenge, you'll be able to look back and see what you were thinking during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was duped by the headlines of Cosmopolitan Magazine in the 80s that said I could do it all, be it all, have it all.

    They lied.

    But. It is possible to find a way to balance the work with the other stuff... not only possible, but crucial, I believe, to living happy days. Otherwise, what's the point? The universe has thrown the gauntlet at your feet. Pick it up and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.) I think that you can master the "teaching creatively" challenge, and
    2.) I am starting to think that there really is something to be said for wrangling a day job and separating your worth and life as a person from what you do to pay the bills.
    3.) This is going to be the fastest summer in the history of the universe, and I am excited for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At my advanced age, I am finally learning what La Archer says in Item 2; sometimes, it really is just a day job. That aside, having a day job--particularly one like teaching--can exhaust you. Write weekends, maybe?

    (p.s. sorry I haven't been around much)

    ReplyDelete